2/15/08

12 Week Appointment

Fetal development in pregnancy week 12:fetus in third month Even though your little Einstein’s body is still growing quite rapidly 2 inches long right now, the overall super-speedy growth of their amazing brain continues to leave the head proportionately larger than the body— and is actually slightly more than one third of their total body mass! The head and neck are still straightening at this point as can be seen by their little chin lifting off of the chest. Your baby is also actively rehearsing “breathing” by using amniotic fluid to prepare the lungs for future air respiration.

The big news: your little pooper is now officially going to need diapers! Although a majority of the waste produced is transferred to the mother’s system for discharge (to avoid having it linger in the amniotic sac), some urine is released to the amniotic fluid and your baby will actually breathe it in before it passing it on to your for discharge. Not to worry, urine--in this particular form, is completely harmless to your baby.

Today is Friday which is usually a great thing cause that means the weekend is right around the corner.  Since this weekend marks the day of the Marathon I am getting nervous that it is already Friday and there are only 2 days between me and a 26.2 mile run.  I have slowed down significantly as the hormones that loosen your tendons have certainly kicked in.  I may be running it slow, but Jason claims I can divide my time in half since I am running for two and how many 12 weeks (in the womb) babies can claim they ran a marathon???   Look back on Monday as I am sure I will give a rundown of the marathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment